I’ve been seeing a lot of commotion being made about certain books on “booktok” and “bookstagram” so I thought I’d add a few titles that interested me to my TBR. The first one on this list is The Silent Patient by Alex Michaelides. You can grab a copy of the book here I have seen so many people post about this book and haven’t seen any bad reviews(yet) so I thought I would give it a try. I won’t give away the ending or any crucial pieces to the plot, but here is my *spoiler free* review!
I am an avid thriller reader, so I always have high expectations for any thriller I read. Initially, I expected this book to go in a complete different direction. The characters were unreliable, making it hard for me to form my opinion of what really happened, but I actually enjoyed this aspect. Nothing was predictable and although there were moments where I could see things going a certain way, it was never executed in a way like I imagined it would be. Michaelides did a fantastic job of keeping me intrigued with each chapter, despite how chilling the circumstances where.
- Pacing(fast paced thrillers add suspense and intrigue in my opinion)
- Romance that doesn’t cloud the story(the romance in this novel was “clean cut” it was enough for exposition, and to give the novel weight, but it didn’t take away from the story which I appreciated greatly. Some novels tend to pack on the romance, and then the thrilling aspect isn’t as exciting to me)
- Unreliable characters(I like when authors do this because it gives the audience a stronger role in deciding what happened. Perfect for amateur detectives like myself)
Overall Thoughts/What to Expect From This Read
Overall, I enjoyed this and was able to finish in 2 days. This is a typical speed for a thriller read, although my 5 star reads lately have been finished in one night(although I don’t recommend reading scary novels before bed, coming from someone who does this routinely it’s not pleasant once the novel is finished).
Here’s what you can expect from this read if you decide to pick it up:
- Mental Health/ Self-Harm Triggers
- Artist/Creative Aesthetic
- Chilling/gloomy atmosphere
I hope you enjoyed today’s post! I have some new projects in the works that I am extremely excited for and hope you’ll stick around to see them. In the meantime, comment down below your favorite thriller read and if you’ve read The Silent Patient before. Did you like it? Hate it? Unbothered? Tell me your thoughts below!
With Love & Magic,
One thought on “The Silent Patient By Alex Michaelides: Book Review *Spoiler Free*”